Villon, Proper Hotel’s San Francisco restaurant, reopens Thursday, April 7 for nightly dinner service with an all-new reconceptualized menu under the guidance of San Francisco Proper’s Executive Chef Jason Fox.
The menu at Villon includes modern, progressive dishes and a new cocktail program by BV Hospitality, complete with a selection of curated, alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails.
Interior designer Kelly Wearstler designed Villon to, “respect San Francisco’s history with a reimagining of the past and an infusion of the city’s modern spirit and creativity.” Looking to San Francisco of the past and hotel dishes from around the world for inspiration, Chef Jason Fox and the Villon team intend to honor and create new classics of their own.
The new dinner menu at Villon focuses on tableside experiences. The menu comes with an inventive cocktail program by BV Hospitality.
Highlight dishes include:
- Beef Tartare, Asian Pear Kimchi
- Artichoke Agnolotti, Burnt Lemon, Fava Beans, Black Truffle
- American Wagyu Beef, Peas, Leeks, Creamed Swiss Chard
- Dark Chocolate Crepe Suzette, Cherry, Grand Marnier
Tableside experiences include:
- The Proper Salad: Gem Lettuces, Smoked Mushrooms, Beets, Preserved Garlic and Miso Dressing
- Lamb Grilled Over Redwood, Onion Gratin, Smoked Polenta, Spring Greens, Rosemary Lamb Jus
Chef’s Menu includes:
- Steamed Bun, Quail Egg, Caviar
- Abalone, King Trumpet Mushrooms
- Asparagus Grilled Over Charcoal, Smoked Sheep’s Milk Cheese, Potato
- Duck Glazed in Honey, Rhubarb, Cocoa Nibs
- Celery Sorbet, Verjus Soda
- Baked Alaska
Cocktails and N/A selections include:
- Million Dollar Cocktail – Gin, Sweet Vermouth, Pineapple, Lemon, Egg White, Served Up
- La Perla – Tequila, Manzanilla Sherry, Pear Liqueur, Served Up
- Coasting Wagon (N/A) – Martini & Rossi Vibrante, Leitz “Eins Zwei Zero” Sparkling Riesling, Fever Tree Tonic, Served Spritzed.
- Wagon Vault (N/A) – Seedlip Garden 108, Martini & Rossi Floreale, brine, Castelvetrano, Served Up
- Wagon Lits (N/A) – Spiritless Kentucky 74, Lyre’s Aperitif Rosso, Raspberry, Lemon, Ginger Ale, Served Long
Executive Chef Jason Fox joined the San Francisco Proper from Michelin-starred Commonwealth. Fox began his culinary career in San Francisco at Bizou under Chef Loretta Keller, where he was introduced to the wide variety of local California ingredients, widening his culinary scope. Fox continued to work in kitchens throughout the city, spending time at Stinson Beach Park Café and Scott Howard, before landing his first chef position at Bar Tartine.
As Executive Chef of San Francisco Proper Hotel, Fox leads the hotel’s four dining outlets: the rooftop bar, Charmaine’s, the Lounge at San Francisco Proper, La Bande and Villon. Chef Fox brings his knowledge of progressive California cuisine and beyond to the property and draws on local ingredients and worldly flavors. Aligning with his personal passions, Proper Giving donates 1% of Proper Hotel’s time, hotel space, and management fees towards the betterment of surrounding communities, offering human, physical and financial resources to those in need.
Located within the iconic point of a landmark Beaux-Arts flatiron building in San Francisco, Kelly Wearstler’s Villon is designed with a custom Negro Marquina marble and walnut bar with a brass appointed towering spirits library. The blue and black motif of the room is accented by wood, stone, metals and glass at a delicate scale. Blue ribbed wood paneling is fragmented with geometric shards of antique mirror that open-up the room with surprising vistas.